April 21, 2007

Music and friends and love.


I'm still recovering from spending the day yesterday in San Pedro for the concert I wrote about in a recent post. It was just a fabulous day, quite an adventure, in a magnificant Art Deco theater built in 1931 that was the first movie house in the area to get a sound system. I left my house at 1pm, picked up my friend Rookie who invited me, and got to the theater at 3:00pm, had a bite at a little Italian deli down the street (where there were NO chain stores) and then back to the theater to listen to the bands warm up. Just us and the security guys and the band guys and it was wonderful. The musicians were in casual clothes jamming, and I felt like they were playing just for me. I don't think I've ever had that experience before and it was splendid.

Suffice it to say that the concert itself was amazing. The band Tierra played Latin music, in English and Spanish, and Rookie's group from www.supersinglemixers.com danced in front of the first row of seats. The security guys tried to get us to stop, but I think they quickly realized it was a lost cause. Just couldn't sit down. The music was fabulous, the crowd was wild, and I had the best time. I got home at 2am and that's without going out to breakfast with the group! 'Nuff said.

On the ride back and forth, we two single independent and fabulous (!) women talked about the usual. Our mutual friends, the upcoming Craigslist cocktail party I'm planning, and dating. Of course. It's a hot topic with my women's group. We've all loved men in the past, been through our share of heartaches, and most of us really would like to experience love again. You know, that spine-tingling-can't-wait-to-see-him-again love. With a guy who looks at us like we're are the most special and beautiful person he has ever seen. Geez, I sound like a fairy tale, don't I, and some women have given up hope, but some of us still believe it can happen again. The concert made me remember a past love, American and born in Peru, with that slight Spanish accent that made me swoon. I still feel tingly when I remember his voice on the phone saying hello to me in Spanish, "hola Elena." Aaaahhh.

So, while we wait for the next (and hopefully final) love of our lives, we are happy to spend time with our grown children, our women friends, and pursuing activities we enjoy. Maybe our prince will still come and maybe he won't. Maybe he'll be at our next cocktail party on May 12th. Wouldn't that be something!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a grand time in San Pedro. I am thinking, you might have found chain restaurants had you driven to Western Ave......but then, I believe that is Rancho Palos Verdes....