April 13, 2007

Isn't this a better way to meet?



Remember that episode of Sex and The City where Carrie had a birthday and no one showed up for her dinner? When she finally connected with her girlfriends later that night, she was really sad and embarassed to reveal the reason for her sadness. She finally admitted, almost in tears, that she felt alone and her anguish was that there was no great guy in her life to wish her a happy birthhday.

A lot of us ladies are on a quest to find that guy, that special man who makes us laugh and is great in bed and adores us. And is there to wish us happiness on that special day. So we do a variety of things to find him, like using the internet or asking friends to set us up, or joining clubs in hopes that he is there. I'm not on any internet dating sites anymore, preferring to meet guys in real life, hence the WOW Cocktail Party plans. The first party was successful and fun and I'm planning another one soon, but meanwhile I received some reminders about the difficulty of finding that special guy.

In response to my Craigslist ad for singles our age who would want to come to our cocktail parties, I received this: To whom it may concern, I'm assuming you are a mature woman looking to meet interesting men for friendship and more. I was wondering how you feel about having a private party with a younger man. I am 36 and eager to meet some one about your age for possible LTR or just fun if that suits you. Is that a possibility. To whom it may concern? If you want to be that friendly with me, you'd better know my name. And thanks for the offer, but no. Really, no.

When I was placing the CL ad about the party, I took a few minutes to read the "women seeking men" section to check out my competition and found this one: IF YOU ARE 50+,IF YOU HAVE hair past your shoulders (not bald on top) IF YOU know how to dance,IF YOU ARE CHILD FREE,vegetarian,animal lover and love the Lord-,contacts welcome...Please ONLY if you fit ALL of the above..Photo please.. Geez, and we think we have unrealistic expections?

And in the men seeking women category, here is my favorite: Hello I am an experienced, widowed slave that is searching for a lifestyle (non pro) Mistress to devote myself to in a long term relationship that is surrounded by a safe/sane atomsphere. Due to my employment I am usually available on weekends. I believe in female supremacy and know that I am a slave that needs to serve. Please understand that this is not about sex but about my servitude and pleasing my Mistress. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully I will be kneeling at my new Mistress' feet soon. I am located in the San Fernando Valley and would appreciate a Mistress that is fairly close geographically. You know, the idea of a guy kneeling at my feet sounds kinda interesting, but wouldn't I just hate him after a while for being such a wimp?

And from a guy I'd never met or emailed: Hello Ellen, You sound like a very nice lady who has a lot going for her. I know that it would be enjoyable to discuss various topics with you and to travel together. However, I wanted to write you personally to let you know that I will not be able to pursue this relationship. I have started seeing another person. I hope that you succeed in meeting the match that you desire and have a bright future. Ya just gotta think, what if this new relationship of his lasts like one week or so and then he never has the chance to find out if I'm the woman of his dreams?!?

It's all really weird to me, this dating in my 50s thing. Especially dating online. After our first cocktail party last week, I realized that meeting new men in person can really be great fun and much more authentic than online. You guys were there, nicely dressed, smelling good, with smiles on your faces, and dancing your hearts out. And we ladies had the best time with you! So, the point of all this is that I'm planning the next party soon. I like what the Sex and The City girls decided, that they would be each other's "soul mates" and that the men they met and loved would be "the great guys they have fun with." Maybe those "great guys" will be at our next cocktail party! Stay tuned!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in, when is the party! In person is the only way to do it, I am certain. And, in seeking this, I have found a wonderful group of women. Love that part.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun. Downtown dance at the music center plaza, 4/27. Lesson at 6:30, dancing until ten, outside. Social dances. Sounds like big fun.

Anonymous said...

I sense the 36 year old that answered your ad, has touch of dry humor....the ad from "women seeking men" column, that states, "if you are 50+, if you have hair past you shoulder"........she can go on dreaming. I think the "widow slave" should enroll at Hunter University....as for the man you never met, maybe, he is the kind, that cannot handle 2 women at the same time,,,,,, even if he hasn't met them!....hmmmmh, how funny!........he, he, he, he,,....it takes all kinds to make up this world, so I was told, by the great guru, as I climbed Mount Tibet.......hunter

Anonymous said...

I hate to say my age because just
I don't like to label myself with an age, but I am 64 and find many nice men to date.I have had lots of coffee dates with nice guys that I have met online. No one clicked, and no one was scary.
Only one of the 15-20 was a minor jerk. I consider these dates, and all dates for that matter,as practice. When I meet a new man I practice being myself and have been able to get out of that "be what need to be to please the man" mindset of the 50's that my mom still advocates.

My goal is to please myself and then I spend time with men (and women) that can appreciate the real me. Most of the men I date are younger and this is probably because there are more men in their 50's at the dances than older men. And on the dance floor I can swing like , well at least, 45. :-)

Being the real me probably makes it easier to stay friends with men i have dated. I value my male friends.

Anonymous said...

....allright Louise!...I like your coffee date post.....hunter