April 10, 2007

Ellen is going to a concert!


You think you know me, don't you? You think I'm this upstanding, self-sufficient, independent mother and grandmother who's a bit quirky (Ok, more than a bit, but whatever). That I live with a poodle and a tabby, that I'm single and mostly happy, that I created this women's group, that I can seem shy but really can do scary stuff, that I work for a brain surgeon, and that I like chocolate. That I graduated from college in 2001 with a degree in philosophy and that I'm kinda smart and a little weird, but nice to have around. At least I hope you think that. That sometimes I like to coccoon and sometimes I like to be social and that I walk for exercise. Geez, if I were tall and skinny and blond (and a few decades younger) I'd be the girl-next-door. Almost.

But you probably don't know that I was a hippie in the 60s, that I had long hair and smoked dope, that I got kicked out of medical assistant school for taking the teacher's son to a love-in, and that I had the first natural childbirth by Lamaze at Granada Hills Hospital. That I went to three Doors concerts, that I went to a Dylan concert at the Forum and pee-ed in the men's restroom, and that I met my daughter's father by walking into a house where I didn't know anyone because I heard a band playing inside. That I was taught to play piano and flute and guitar and loved, loved, loved folk music. I like to think that, even after many years of living a rather mainstream life, I still have that rebel inside of me, that girl who does what moves her regardless of what others will think. And still loves music.

So what brought up this trip to the past? Let's see if you can follow this: A few years ago, I met a guy who took me to Paris and Venice and we broke up, then had a few other short and fabulous relationships until the bad break-ups, then I decided not to date but to spend more time with girlfriends, so I formed this women's group, invited speakers to the meetings, invited Rookie to the meeting, got invited to her www.SuperSingleMixers.com events, got invited back to her event to be a staffer, and last week met a guy at one of her events who is producing a 70s concert and got invited to that!!! What goes around, comes around? It's about time I went back to a rock concert? Giving up the LA Times and TV was good karma?!? Maybe it's just time to have some fun. And listen to some good, live music!

So naturally, I want to share my good fortune and pass on the information about the concert to my loyal readers:
When: April 20th, 2007
Who: Rose Royce ("Car Wash") and Tierra ("Together"), comic George Perez
Where: The Warner Grand Theater, San Pedro, CA
Tickets: (562) 235-9052, www.backdoorwest.com (The concert music is playing there!)
Mention Rookie or book tickets thru her website www.supersinglemixers.com and
you get a discount/upgrade!
Dress: Prizes for the best outfit from the 70s!
Sounds like a great evening. Good music, the company of a cute guy, time with the girlfriends (a bunch of us are going), and a stroll back to the 70s. On the other hand, it's every girls worst nightmare - I have to dress like the 70s? What the heck should I wear?!?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellen! You are someone that I want to know!
Wear something that shows off your beauty, adjust the theme, you are about to be with someone, I can feel it, Marie

Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen, I didn't know you were a fellow music lover! I go to concerts all the time....I'll call you next time I'm buying tickets to see if you'd like to join in,
Next up for me...Stevie Winwood!!
Pam

Anonymous said...

it seems as if you caught two up and coming young pianists rehearsing for a concert......maybe they can play Billy Joels.....he said son won't you play me a melody, I'm not really sure how it goes, but I knew it was sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger mans clothes......piano man/hunter