May 2, 2007

I love these guys!

The Party is May 12th, and I'm doing the pre-party hostess thing, worrying about it. You know, I worry about all those things over which I have no control, like if people will show up or if the people who do show up will have fun or if there will be enough guys for the ladies or enough ladies for the guys. Whew! Just like I tell everyone else, there is no point in worrying, it just wastes energy, but do I listen to my own advice? Maybe I'll listen to my friend Rookie, who said, "You can worry about the party, or be calm, neither will affect the outcome." She should know, she's the creater of www.SuperSingleMixers.com and has thrown a lot of successful parties herself. She says she'll be there to help me at the Party, lucky me!

So, what was I saying? Oh yeah, I wrote an email to the guys on the Party List, asking for them to RSVP so I'd know how many fabulous women to invite. I didn't know if the guys would really do the RSVP thing, being guys and all, but imagine my surprise when I received the first one: "rings on my fingers, bells on my toes, I will be there!" Well, that certainly cheered me up. I love a funny guy!

But then the replies kept coming! Another guy wrote, "Hey Ellen...how are you today? I had a great time at your last party and am looking forward to seeing all of you women again on the 12th. This really is a great thing you have going...bye for now." Ah, thank you, it's great to be appreciated! Be sure to introduce yourself at the Party!

And then this one, " Yes, of course, I'll be there! You couldn't keep me away even if you had Rosie O'Donnell, in a really bad mood, stationed at the entrance with a box full of pepper spray. Not that you would, of course. One question, though... what about a suggestion or two on dress for the men? Too stuffy - not good. Too casual - equally not good. Cruise ship / country club attire? We guys just want you ladies to feel like the beautiful creatures you really are so we all can have a great time. Best wishes" He thinks we're beautiful!!! Or he's a really smart guy and knows what a girl likes to hear! This pre-Party stuff is so much fun! I assured him that Rosie would not be there at the entrance, no way, and that we ladies love to see a guy looking good, like in slacks and a well-pressed shirt and maybe even a sports coat. And some musky cologne, I love when guys smell good, oooooh! Just no white or blue shoes, I told him, and he answered, "OK, how about white belts, double knit trousers, and Member's Only Jackets?" Forgive me, I'm just imagining that this guy probably really knows how to dress and will look great. So, just to play with him, as I love a guy who can banter, I asked him what guys like to see on a woman? In public, I added? He answered, "Ellen, I'm glad you qualified that question with, 'In public.' Please tell the ladies to wear just enough to stay cool while dancing and enough to keep to make us keep our eyes on their faces rather than their bust lines -- at least most of the time, anyway. After all, the eyes are the mirror of the soul, not the breasts, although those come in a close second!" Ok, he's a guy. No question. Hope he smells good.

And, of course, there is that email that I don't understand. Tell me if this is intelligible or not,
"You are just too kind ellen and a fine lady. LOVE your name as I too was a real fan of marlo thomas and That girl." Thatellen is really not my name, you know, but my email address, but OK I understand that part, sort of. Then he wrote, "Today is the first. I am doing well and yourself? My problem is that I am doing very well all the time, retired at age 50, not bad huh? Not that rich, not that poor, time is well spent. My cat is 15yrs old and asleep. An extremely good friend met her husband online. Who knows, do you?" Does that mean he's planning to attend the event? His cat? Online? Did I miss something? Huh?

OK, so let me end this post with the Mr. Eternal Optimist or Mr. Wishful Thinking, "Hello Ellen, I will see you there. Please put me down for two gorgeous women. : ) See you soon." Ah, big guy, you can have as many women as will have you!!! Did I say that you guys were fun already?!? Can't wait to meet you live and in person! (Don't forget to smell good, I'm gonna check!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I want your job! really though, I appreciate the efforts....as I am internet shy...

Ellen said...

Oh honey, it's not a job, it's a pleasure! I always say I'll keep doing something as long as it's fun! Really, this party is just an experiment that I've wanted to do for a long time. Job? I'd actually like a new one - know anyone looking for someone like me?xo

Anonymous said...

Hi ellen,,,the 50 year old retiree, is possibly saying that he needs nothing at the moment...other than, maybe, tend to his broken heart.....there is a real good chance, the may 12 cocktail party will remedy that!...