May 26, 2007

Music, Dessert, and Carnations!


I've written about the next Party List Event, a free Concert in the Park on a Sunday evening June 3rd to listen to some fabulous music in an outdoor setting. It's generated a lot of email, these parties, mostly with questions about why I spend so much energy creating these free events and what's in it for me?

Listen, altruism, doing for others, is not a self-less task. We always get rewards, like feeling good about ourselves, feeling important, receiving appreciation from others, so it's never really just a do-good thing. I've received lots and lots of emails, from men and women, saying that the parties have been really fun and that they appreciate my efforts. Don't worry, if it becomes a chore for me, I'll do something else with my time and energy.

But it's really expanding and several other singles groups are participating and inviting their members, so there must be a need for these type of get-togethers. A bunch of guys wrote like Alex: Thanks for the invite Ellen! I'll be there. Sounds like fun and i don't want to miss it. And I was really touched by Bob who wrote: hello ellen, i'll be there..by myself, cause i dont know anyone..i just moved to la..And I was reminded that we live in a city of close to 4 million people and it's really, really hard to make friends.

For location and details of the party, write to me at wowthatellen@yahoo.com. Part of the plan is to have the partygoers bring their own chairs and blankets and dinner (unless they want to buy food at the vendors) and look for my purple balloons. I also asked that the ladies bring desserts for the guys and I just love that idea, sharing sweet food while getting to know all of you fabulous men. And listen to "Opus" from San Fernando Valley Meet-up wrote about that: If the ladies bring desserts for the guys, I'll bring the carnations! Just gotta love a guy like that!

You know, it may not be easy to meet people in Los Angeles, but there really are some really terrific people out there. I'm sure hoping they'll come to my parties. And I'd be more than happy if even one friendship is created from my events! That's thanks enough for me!

2 comments:

Rookie Mac said...

Well I for one appreciate all your efforts, and how much fun I have at your parties!
Being a transplant to LA, I know personally how hard it is to meet new people, and make new friends.
Yeah Ellen! :) from Rookie

Anonymous said...

HI ellen you rock, nice event, realy love it, I meet especial ladie, thanks George "jorge" thanks a lote,