July 22, 2007

My heroes!

Happiness is an inside job. I've heard that. We have control over our happiness, I also hear. Someone close to me said that we have to be happy first before someone can "make" us happy. Smart guy. Martha Washington said, "The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our disposition."

So I have these parties. I invite lots of single people our age to meet at a local club to meet and dance and mingle. We had one last night, my 5th party. I ran out of name tags, there were so many people there. I look around and watch the party create itself as more and more people come through that door, some nervously and anxiously, but all brave enough to try something new with new people in a new place. Really courageous, these single people who tell me story after story about themselves, these stories that are so like the others I hear, these stories about suddenly being single in their 50s and not knowing what to do, where to go, how to dress, how to act. Stories about facing something they never dreamed would happen to them, being widowed or divorced at this age, looking toward their future thinking they might be alone.

So these very brave people come to my parties. And sometimes it gets the best of them, their fears, and they have a tough time having a good time. But at least they show up. Others just talk to people they don't know, dance with strangers, talk to more people, and laugh and smile and just look like they're enjoying this night of being social, this rare time of being in a room of people so like them, in such similar circumstances, and feeling good about themselves for being there.

So I say a big hearty "good work" to those of you who come to my parties and do what it takes to have a great time and make it fun for everyone else. A huge thank you to those of you who take the time to find me and tell me how much you enjoy the parties and are grateful that I create them. A big hug to those of you who tell me that you enjoy reading this blog and that you benefit from what I write. Another hug to those of you who email me saying that you had a good time and that we all made you feel welcome. You are all my heroes, you brave single people, for dressing up and driving over and parking your car and walking into this room of strangers, hoping to have a good time and maybe even meet someone to make your life happier. You've taken charge of your lives, you look for the good in every situation, and you walk through your fears. And, in doing so, you make life a little better for those around you. Bravo!

3 comments:

that guy said...

You described the event to a "t". I am one of your admirers for who you are and what you do. You provide an opportunity to "connect", which really helps in this day and age.
Very rare when events like this are done out of care, not money, it brings a special meaning to the gathering.

music said...

To the handsome man in the red shirt at the bar...

...had I only looked up...I was busy looking for a snake catcher
....woman in the long black dress

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had another fantastic party!......hunter...