December 9, 2006

The healing power of Craig's List.

Not a bad week. My new receptionist is good, efficient, and pleasant, so I'm not so stressed at work. My beautiful daughter and her 3-year-old twins stayed with me a few days again while their kitchen was being remodeled. Very cute and very tough age, those two, but I love their energy and how their forming minds think. (Gramma, did you know....?") And I did get some pix of the cruise emailed to me (they'll be on this site soon!) and it was fun to re-live those hilarious moments with my WOW ladies.

I also had the pleasure of spending a few hours this week with a woman friend, but not a WOW member, who is going through a break-up after eighteen months with a guy she dearly loves but had to give up. No matter what they did, they just couldn't be happy together. So, just for fun, we put a personal ad on Craig's List for her ("Need a rebound guy") and went to dinner and came back to 120 responses!!! Geez, that's like five years of being on Match.com or JDate and for free! Here's the totals: Dozens of twentyish and thirtyish guys, some of whom sent pix that were stunning (ah, those six-pack abs!); a few older guys who said they would be "generous" to her while she was getting over the break-up; one guy who wrote a lengthy dissertation on how women "over 45 were 'over'," like somehow on that b'day the possibility of future happiness ends (what does he know!!!); only three erect penises, one of which was next to a Red Bull can and was equal in size (I can't quite think of a cute response to that!); and dozens of guys who didn't sound crazy and actually sounded real and nice and serious about finding a good woman.

One guy wrote: "Well what can I say, My ears are here to listen, my arms are here to hold, my shoulder is here to lean on and my heart is here to feel. In other words, I'll absorb your hurt and make it less painful...And what did you mean by bad break-up? You didn't kill him did you?" And one guy, to whom she sent her picture, wrote back "Regarding your pic...You are nothing less than..A Goddess."

We laughed and giggled and said "aaaaahhhh" more than once, so after all the anger and disappointment and sadness my friend went through during the break-up, this was like medicine to heal the broken heart. Although she might not meet any of these guys, it was sure comforting for her to learn that there are some more good ones still out there.

No comments: