August 16, 2006

A reading list for men and women.

WOW is having a speaker at our meeting this month, Evan Marc Katz (www.e-cyrano.com). His business is helping online daters to write their profiles. And he's written two books, "I Can't Believe I'm Buying This Book: A Commonsense Guide to Successful Internet Dating" and Why You're Still Single: Things your friends would tell you if you promised not to get mad." I'll bet he's gonna be a really good speaker and fun guy.

So I'm looking up his books on Amazon and click on "I love you, nice to meet you..by singlecitychick...dating diva extraordinaire" and up comes her list of books she suggests for men and women looking for "The One." Her list is called "Love Smart, Love Dumb, but at least Love" which, at the very least, takes the pressure off doing this dating this right, doesn't it? And here's a few on her list:

Books For Women:
1) Ten Commandments of Dating. If I don't get a date, at least I'll get religion.
2) Never Kiss A Frog: A Girl's Guide to Creatures from the Dating Swamp. I don't know, we usually don't know they're a frog until too late...
3) Dating Rocks!: The 21 Smartest Moves Women Make for Love. This is written by a guy, so I don't know if he'll advise taking off our clothes immediately or what.
4) Body Language Secrets: A Guide During Courtship & Dating. So if I just lean into him, no wait, lean away from him like Rori says, I don't need to be beautiful or sexy or smart?
5) Don't Call That Man! OK, is this the 2006 version of The Rules?
6) Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship. For those who don't want to follow The Rules?
7) Date Like a Man: What Men Know about Dating and Are Afraid You'll Find Out. Men know something about dating?!?
8) Stop Getting Dumped! All You need to Know to Make Men Fall Madly in Love With You and Marry 'the one' in 3 years or Less. I can't even come up with a comment on this one, sorry.

Books For Men:
1) Understanding Women: The Definitive Guide to Meeting, Dating, and Dumping, if necessary. This is doomed to fail. Men can never understand us. Remember "men are clueless"?!?
2) How to Succeed with Women. Can't wait to read that. It's really so simple. Treat us like a queen and be fabulous in bed. Sex doesn't end when you do.
3) Stumbling Naked in the Dark: Overcoming Mistakes Men Make with Women. I repeat, treat us like a queen and be fabulous in bed! Sex doesn't end when you do.
4) How to Pick Up Beautiful Women In Nightclubs or Any Other Place: Secrets Every Man Should Know. Like new pick-up lines? Wear a clean shirt?
5) 1001 Ways to Be Romantic. Too bad only women will buy this.

So we women read all the books and follow each one until the next one comes along and then we try the ideas in that one. And the men sit home and serial browse on their computer. A wise therapist once told me that I could read all of the relationship books that ever come out, but that I will only grow while in a relationship. Scary, sure. But could be a lot more fun than reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like #3 in the men books - original title if anything (good visual). Do we really learn anything from these books? Doubt it. But, funny post.