March 28, 2008

Sparks, smart women, and Joy.








Another absolutely wonderful evening was had by the Wow ladies last night! It's always a joy to have my women's group into my home for potluck and speaker and last night was even more fun and meaningful than ever!

We had the pleasure of having Joy Chudacoff as our speaker. When I first saw Joy's website (http://www.smartwomensolutions.com/), I had a hunch that what she had to offer was just what my Wow ladies and I needed to hear. Joy advertises that her services will help you identify what is most important to you, set goals and create actions plans, turn your dreams and big ideas into realities.... and those words really struck a chord in me.

From the moment Joy began to speak to us, we were entranced. She started by saying that all women are smart, but that we are so busy nurturing and taking care of others that we don't have time to realize just how smart and capable we really are. We may desire a life of passion and purpose but we're often just too busy to figure out how to make it happen. We can tell we are, indeed, living a life of purpose and passion by determining our energy level. If we are living such a life, our energy level will be high and we will feel it, getting out of bed each morning looking forward to what the day may bring. The reality is that we CAN do and create whatever we want in life and that we will have unlimited energy to make it happen.
She suggests that we just pay attention to our daily energy levels, identifying what we do for which our energy is unlimited or not will help us realize what it is that we enjoy and what we don't.

Joy says that there are three elements needed to create a spark or fire. The first is oxygen, which is really self-care in the areas of mind, body-health, relationships, and creativity. For the mind, she suggests we learn ways, such as meditation, to be able to hear our "inner voice," that voice that guides us and tells us truths about ourselves; that we exercise and eat well to have a healthy body; that we build relationships and seek "nutritious" people who encourage us, people who are "possibility people," those upbeat and positive people who help us visualize and accomplish our dreams; and that, to be creative, we learn to see things from a different perspective, through a different lens, so that we can realize what we already do that is creative and find more ways to be creative.

The second thing needed to create passion in our lives is fuel. Joy says that we need to identify our "PBAs," our "personal board of advisers." These are people who, without judgement, allow us to express our dreams and desires and encourage us to actualize them. These are our mentors and coaches and should be of all age groups, older and younger, to keep us fresh and have perspective. I love that Joy said she wakes up every morning thinking "who can teach me something today," and finds those pearls of wisdom from friends and the cashier at the market and co-workers and clients and her children alike. She says that "anyone can teach us something new."

The third thing needed is heat. She suggests we start by buying a small book of lined paper, 99c at the the office supply store, and put it in our purses with a pen so that it is always available we have a bright idea or the beginning of an idea. She then asked what she called "the Big Questions," which are: What is the most important thing missing from our lives? What do we need to let go of to move on with our lives? What could I change or add to my life...or, if you knew you could not fail, what would you do in your life? She reminded us that letting go is very uncomfortable but that we need to just do it, but to stop at each step of the journey and re-assess if we are still feeling the spark and passion before we move on.

Joy really made me think, which is the mark of an excellent speaker. I realized that, although my work has lately become difficult, it really is where I feel very worthwhile and valuable. I realized that I actually am very creative in my own way, starting this women's group and organizing the singles parties. And I certainly do have friends who push and encourage and make me feel loved- the room was full of them last night. So thanks to you, Joy, for sharing your own story with us and encouraging us to think and grow - I vow to spend some quiet time allowing that "little voice" to tell me what areas of my life might need change or growth. And big hugs to all the Wowettes and others who encourage and push and walk with me on this path of life!

No comments: