March 16, 2008

Craigslist, parties, and you.

I'm planning another free Cocktail Party. We meet at a local hotel where there is a live band and we dance and drink and meet new people and have fun. There's not many places here to do that, amazingly. When I was single in my 30s, there were so many great clubs and happy hours and places to meet that it was hard to choose, but now there's really no where to go. There are a few singles groups, but they're over-the-hill or they're those 10 minute date events that we tried and said we'd never go back. So last year, wanting to get a lot of guys together to meet the ladies in Wow, we had these parties and each one was more fun than the one before.

How do I find people to invite? Yes, I put an ad on Craigslist, offering men the opportunity to meet a group of women at once at a free party. I have more than 600 on my email list, men and women both, and we've had more than 100 people at each party. Imagine a whole room of people who just met and are laughing and dancing and talking and just enjoying everything!

So I put another ad on Craigslist, asking the guys to send a picture and let me know why I should invite them to the party. I received 40+ responses the first day and thought I'd share a few with you:

Im 51 dont smoke or drink and Im single, when is the party?
Well, hopefully I'm one of the ones.

Hi there. Well I am sure I am not "the one" but I thougt I would put myself out there for you and your friends.

Sounds like fun.

hi i am 48 nice looking and in good shape please send me some info about the party

I'm 52, 6'1", average build, professional, and live in Pacific Palisades. I'd love to know more about your party. I'm looking for a serious relationship - and the internet is a tough way to search for that special person. Maybe your party is the answer . .

I am out in the desert so I don't see myself going to any group event. And I still might want to participate.

Hott!

GOOD MORNING, I LIVE IN ARCADIA HILLS.SOUNDS LIKE A CLASS GROUP OF PEOPLE. PLEASE INCLUDE ME IN.I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY.


No problem. I invite everyone who writes to me, except the guy who described what parts of me he would like to lick and the guy who is unhappily married and wants to make sure I won't put his picture on the 'net and the guy who sent me a picture of a body part. Everyone else gets an invitation, and so far they all sound like nice guys. So, if you are single, live near the Valley, and want to come to the party, just let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Party, yes, feeling fearless, bring it on. And, thank-you.

Anonymous said...

This sounds awesome. I'm not a big fan of online dating (especially the paid sites - it's creeping towards being a billion dollar a year industry, with customer satisfaction very low) - but using the internet to arrange a big meet-up cocktail party sounds awesome. Let people rub shoulders in person - far healthier than staring at pixels! Love to hear how it goes.