June 7, 2007

Is there a Hungry Girl Dinner?

I'm kinda pissed off. Hard to know since you can't see me, but I'm pissed off. Peaceful, calm, soft-voiced and controlled me, pissed off. See, I read a post, a good and well-written post, in another blog and at the time I read it, I thought it made sense and that I should take the advice to heart. See, she writes that we should never go grocery shopping when we're hungry because we'll just go crazy buying food that's bad for us and that we wouldn't buy when we're not hungry. I get that, I really do. Then, she takes that and applies it to dating, saying that we should not date when we're "dating hungry" because we'll fall for someone that is very wrong for us just because we're so hungry.

Now, how in the world does that translate? Is it me or is she nuts? Let's think about it logically, OK? She says to keep really, really busy doing fun and meaningful things so that our lives will be rich and fulfilling and then we won't be hungry and do something we shouldn't with the wrong guy. Sorry, I don't get it. If I'm hungry for a steak, no amount of hamburger or chicken will do, I will still want that steak. If I'm craving See's candy, a Mars bar just won't take care of that need. So, just exactly how does having a rich and fulfilling life make us not hungry to be surrounded by some gorgeous testosterone-laden guy who smells good and wants us? Let's try this another way. I've just been to a barbeque and filled up, I mean stuffed myself, with dogs and fries and watermelon and cake and then I drive by Black Angus and, believe me, I still want that steak. Or, I've eaten all the oreos in the local Von's and am feeling like Porky Pig and my jeans hardly button and a patient brings me a box of milk chocolate See's candy and, no question about it, I'm gonna snarf down some of those goodies. Get it? Am I right? Yes?

OK, what's got this chick in a tizzy, you might ask? You know me, I'm a busy girl with a fun and exciting social life, of my own making I might add, but still I'm doing stuff. Got those parties and those girls' nights out and working and taking the grandbabies to the park and talking on the phone to the girls and whatever and whatever and I'm busy, right? But how in the world, just how I ask, does all that make me not want a good-looking and fine-smelling guy to wrap his big strong arms around me and whisper something sexy in my ear? It just doesn't compute, no matter how you look at it. One does not, I repeat, does not make me not hungry for the other. No, it does not.

Oh, I forgot to say what brought this to the surface. Sit down. Take a breath. Think peaceful thoughts. Here goes: I've got a date on Sunday with an attractive man. With a good mind. Kinda on the same path in life as me. Who kinda gets me already. Got the picture? And I'm supposed to not want him because I'm a busy, happy, socially active girl? That's all I can say here. Ya gotta help me. Hungry? Yep. Wanna do the wrong thing? Nope! OK, all of you, what's a hungry girl to do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"we should not date when we're "dating hungry" because we'll fall for someone that is very wrong for us just because we're so hungry. " .....when we are not 'starving', we can make better choices with food and with people. Do we tend to minimize a guy's faults when we are 'starving' for male affection and attention? What are the other ways to feel full inside besides looking for someone else to make us feel full?

Anonymous said...

Auntie Ellen:


EAT THE STEAK any time one becomes available that looks GOOD!!!!!


Auntie Sharon

Anonymous said...

I like auntie sharons response....hunter