August 29, 2008

Clogs, truth, and dares.

I believe in synchronicity. It's how God or the universe or whatever is bigger than us puts situations or people or things into our lives to help us see or grow or learn or just move forward on that path we have chosen. It happens often in my life, like magic, when just what I need is right in front of me. And it happened again this week.

I'm still suffering the stress of the recent break-in at my house. I'm alternately strong and anxious and thought it was time to see my favorite therapist to get some clarity and some peace. I've been upset that I haven't recovered faster, that I'm still anxious and disoriented, but the wisdom from the session made me realize that I'm just where I should be, that I should just stop pressuring myself, and that I should just hold still and allow myself to feel what I'm feeling. And I left with a great sense, through my entire body, of calmness and tranquility. Amazing.

So yesterday was this month's Wow meeting and our speaker was Laurie Hacking, a certified life coach who came to talk about "Wealth Flow." As usual, I didn't know Laurie except for reading her website (www.stepintomore.com)and one phone conversation and I allowed her to pick the topic and material of her choice to speak to us. She talked about how we women lead very busy lives and juggle many hats, often putting aside what we want in order to take care of others. She spoke about how we prevent ourselves from receiving abundance because of fear or lack of confidence, all of which creates "clogs" that stop the flow. She has a five step program in her coaching that includes being clear on where we are and what we want, being curious and expanding our vision, finding our clogs and clearing them out, taking action, and celebrating ourselves and our successes.

To help us learn more about ourselves, she played a game with us of Truth or Dare, asking such questions as "where are you drowning?" and "where are you not listening or trusting your inner knowledge" and "where are you too comfortable?" She dared us to "ask one person to help in an area where you struggle" and "stop, get present, and take a powerful step for you." And the questions caused us all to really take stock of issues we might be too fearful to face and gave us courage to see them clearly and move forward.

And for me? Once again, a speaker came to my house and spoke to exactly the place where I struggled. She asked me to "find the gift" in the recent tragedy which allowed me to shift my thinking to a really positive place. And then she asked one of the ladies "where are you too comfortable?" and my inner voice said "in my home" which I found astonishing, like maybe one of the gifts of the break-in is to show me that I stay home too much and that I need to have the courage to venture outside of my home and myself even more. I think she really shook up many of us in a very good way and I would recommend her wholeheartedly if any of you want help to create a life that is richer and more rewarding.

I do know that one gift from the break-in is that I'm much more open with people about who I am. As soon as the initial shock set in, I realized that, even though I am usually somewhat emotionallly guarded, I could not keep this to myself, that I would have to talk about it over and over for my own sanity. And amazingly,even though I've been anxious lately, I also have felt very strong and powerful at work, like suddenly I'm confident and self-assured, which is an amazing change for me, and maybe that has come from being so open and present. One last thing I noticed was that the feeling in the room all evening was one of calmness, that in a group of ladies who are usually exuberant and noisy it was peaceful and smooth and mellow, just as I have been since my session with the therapist the day before.

So, I admit that life is a wonderful mystery, that I don't have all the answers and that I am dedicated to learning whatever lessons it might bring me. For sure, the break-in has changed me and I think it has changed me for the better. I feel calm and strong and eagerly await whatever life brings me next. I'm striving less and accomplishing more. I'm more patient with myself and much more peaceful. Can you imagine all that from such a tragedy? Isn't life amazing?

1 comment:

Daria said...

Wow, that's the wisest post you've written in quite a while. On the road to recovery and reinvention! xoxo