April 22, 2008

Sand, seashells, and new friends.

It's hard to say what was the best part of my vacation. It's a toss-up between being in a heavenly house overlooking the Sea of Cortez, meeting and spending time with the delightful group of Kathy's Baja neighbors and friends, or living for nine days with Kathy Keane. I realized that Kathy and I have been friends for a short time and have really only seen each other seven or eight times, but this trip proved that we are kindred spirits who share a love of nature and life.

Kathy is one of those beautiful people, full of joy and passion for her chosen work as a wildlife biologist. She is playful and fun, introspective and wise, kind and caring, and a generous person who allowed me to share this haven she has created at the seashore. She is also an artist who takes photos of birds and seashells and flowers and desert plants that take your breath away. (You can see her photos at www.magicinnature.com) Amazingly, she is single, but she is content with her life. She travels back and forth from Baja to Long Beach and Los Angeles and can't imagine that there is a suitable guy who would put up with that lifestyle, but I think that there is a great guy who would find her absolutely enchanting and whose life would be greatly enriched by being a part of hers. Here's a picture of her with her art work at last weekend's San Felipe Blues and Arts Festival:


















Then there's her neighbor Jim who originally built and lived in Kathy's house and then built an even more fabulous home above hers. He's a cheery and fun guy, in his late 70s with the spirit of a youngster. He'd walk into a room and I would felt uplifted by his presence, which is hard to really describe, but that's how it was. I asked him his philosophy of life and he said: "You should always be positive and speak nice to your enemies. It's not good to hold grudges. You should speak good and feel good about yourself - you'll live longer." Here's a picture of Jim with his lovely girlfriend Sue and my friend Kathy:

















I also met Vicki and Randy. He's a retired fire fighter and she worked in Christian Outreach at a church. He's a charming hostess who told us when we stopped by in the morning, "I'll have the wine chilling for when you come by later" and made the most delicious guacamole I've ever had. They, too, have a home on the beach and theirs is warm and colorful and full of purples and reds and blues and golds and textures and I hardly have the words to describe its beauty. He told stories about how much fun it was to fish on the beach with the Mexicans, that they always have such joy when catching a fish that they would jump around and shout. She is the one who chose the colors for their home and did much of the painting, including the sun on the wall in the following picture. They treated me like a friend and I really enjoyed their company immensely. When I asked Vicki about her philosophy of life, she quoted Mother Teresa, "We can do no truly great things, only small things with great love." Here's a picture of their front room:


















And last, but certainly not least, are Roy and Linda. Roy is a marine biologist who has spend most of his life studying sea life in Baja and nearby and currently teaches at a college in the States. He gave a few of us a tour of the tidepools that I'll never forget. Linda is a registered nurse who does hospice work and charity work and work with her church that encourages understanding between cultures and I could go on and on about her good works. They are both playful people with childlike zest about their work, wildlife and sea life, and each other. They were kind enough to drive me the three hours back to my car in the States and I am grateful for their generosity and, even more so, for their delightful company. Here's a picture of Linda, neighbor Bonnie, Kathy, and Roy on our tidepool expedition:























So what was the most fun? I couldn't choose, it was all so wonderful. I'll load more pictures in a few days, but here's a picture I took of a sunrise in front of Kathy's house. Isn't it magnificent!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baja (especially San Felipe and the Campos!) will always give that "No Bad Days" feeling!!!!