April 6, 2008

Good music, appetizers, and tight spaces.

I remember years ago someone telling me that "not every meal is Thanksgiving dinner." I like to remember that when something goes wrong or isn't as good as I hoped it would be. It was like that last night.

I invited some of my partygoers to join me in a scouting adventure to see a new band at a new club. I was invited by a guy in the band called Sidetrac to see what I thought of his group and the club. I like adventures, seeing new places and having new experiences, so I was delighted to plan this outing. Lots of the party guys and gals wanted to join the event, so away we went.

I invited a guy I met at my last party, and we went early to have appetizers and get a good table. The food was delicious, and the service amazing. The band started their first set just after 9pm and it was good, a mellow set while the diners finished, lots of R&B and soul with a surprisingly good singer.

So what went wrong? I hate to admit it, but maybe some of you can relate and realize you're not alone. I am claustrophobic. I don't do well in rooms without windows or in pushy crowds. When it happens to me, I get uneasy and then jittery and then have trouble breathing and get disoriented. I was uneasy when I first entered the room, but I thought it just a new place and the concern about whether the event would go well. But by 10pm, I got that out-of-body feeling and felt like I couldn't catch my breath, so I told my date that I was claustrophic and, bless him, he said we needed to leave and we did.

So what did I learn? That not every event I plan will turn out like I hoped. That I need to pay attention to what my body is telling me. That it was a great band but not a good room. And that my date is a really nice guy, thoughtful and considerate and definitely worth knowing better. All in all, not a bad night after all.

No comments: