December 12, 2007

A holiday party invitation.

I'm throwing another party. I wasn't going to have a party this month, with the holidays and all, but so many of you emailed me asking to do it, I am. (If you aren't on the party list to get the details, email me at wowthatellen@yahoo.com and ask for them.) It's a lonely time of year for many of us, especially those who are single, so having a fun place to go to dance and mingle with people our age and maybe meet a new friend or more, now that's a good idea, I say.

I was remembering that I used to do some computer dating, meeting strangers who I knew very little about, whose picture and profile might have piqued my interest, and so I went online to a popular site and did some browsing, just for fun. Thought I'd share some of the memorable profiles with you!

- "I have a question. What happened to the woman who appreciates the old fashioned guy who opens the door for her, loves her more then life, believes in romance and true love? I love Kids, animals and life and need someone that loves the same things." (Ah, that would be nice, he's polite and treats a woman well and likes animals? But does he like to walk on the beach?)

- "Life is a journey. You choose the direction your journey takes. Your choices can always be pleasant if your choices are thoughtful and true." (That's all this guy's profile said, really! Nice sentiment, but who is he?!?)

- "Expressive artist seeks to lend his hand to your equally expressive and soulful person. Should be real but with a keen sense and appreciation of the absurd. sarcasm and humor a big plus. i tend to go fast so be able and ready to pick up your pace if you want to enjoy my unique view and vision." (Hmmm, could be good, maybe not? But does he open doors for the ladies?)

- "Enjoy traveling, love anywhere near the beach, walking, hiking, going out for a nice dinner along the beach. Enjoy many outdoor activities, including attending sporting events." (Is that a hint that he spends every Sunday cheering on his favorite team?)

- "PLEASE BE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE IN YOUR PROFILE... ANYTHING THAT STARTS WITH A LIE WILL NOT LAST. My age is correctly stated and I look exactly like my photos. Your's should be the same. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PHOTO POSTED, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME... CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING IS HARSH BY DESIGN SO THAT YOU WILL SCREEN YOURSELF OUT IF YOU ARE PLAGUED BY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING. Trust me, I'm far happier single and we're TRULY not a match if: 1)you're on anti-depressants or have made therapy your lifestyle; 2)you're in any type of 12-step self help program, 3)you are a "self-help" freak or "unconditional love" junkie (and if you haven't "found" yourself by now, even MapQuest can't help you)." (Ooooooh, this guy scares me. Kinda narrow minded? He probably has never 'found' himself, and likely he's never even looked...)

- "I'm the guy your parents warned you about. I love competition,sports, poker, laughing,& affection. The Ocean any time..sunsets, mountain hiking.
My friends are few ,but quality ! I am loyal. I can be bad ,,in a good way.
YOU must be in shape ,soft on the eyes,love to laugh , not take yourself to seriously." (Ah, honey, we're trying so hard, me and my girlfriends, to finally give up looking for the 'bad guy'...)

" Love the Life you Live ...Live the Life you Love....Know what makes me happy,and aim to please..As I will for you !! treasure our times together, but secure when we're apart. Chivalry is right here." (Nice sentiment but again, who is he?!?)

You know, I like the parties we've had, a room full of nicely dressed attractive single people who are smiling and dancing and talking and have fun. I like the "old-fashioned" idea of actually getting off the computer and the serial browsing that keeps us dreaming and wishing but not meeting, and actually being in the same space as someone I might like to get to know better. Not saying that computer dating is a bad thing, but standing in front of someone, hearing them speak, listening to their inflections and noticing their body language and smelling their cologne....Uh oh, gotta go. See you at the party! xo

No comments: