December 21, 2007

Happy Whatever!




It's that time of year to give and receive presents and spend time with our families and friends. Some have families far away, some have family members from whom they're estranged, and some have little or no family at all. Some of us are financially well off, some are just getting by, and some have very little. For some, this is a very happy and joyful season and for others it is sad and lonely.

For me, it's a mixed bag. I have a lot of family I don't see, after many years or acrimony, and I'm sad about that. I have a daughter and son-in-law I adore and who have blessed the world with 4-year-old twins who enrich my life, like there is really no word to express the joy they bring to me. (Yes, that's their two smiling faces in the picture.) I have old friends I cherish and new friends who I've met this year who had added to my life in new and delightful ways. I have a roof over my head and a cat and a dog and a good car. I am getting a year older at the turn of the year, but I still feel young and vibrant. Even at this age, I'm still surmounting the issues created by a less-than-loving childhood, but I am happy much of the time. I'm in what might be the first healthy and grown-up romantic relationship of my life, and I'm amazed and grateful for that. It's been a year of some tough growth and change, and I realize the courage it has taken me to stay on the path. Really, I am very, very rich.

So, at this time of the year when we, no matter what our religion, celebrate miracles, I wish all of you the vision to see your blessings and the health and strength to enjoy whatever the New Year brings. Love to all!

No comments: