February 17, 2007

Ellen goes out....

It can happen. Sometimes I go out. Actually, this is a quiet time for me, and I like it. I remember, maybe ten years ago, buying books on solitude, knowing that learning to enjoy being alone was important. I usually think that I can change something about myself quickly, just by hearing it or reading a book about it, but really we change slowly, little by little, incorporating something new into our lives and our hearts and our actions over time. So, many books and some therapy and ten years later I am enjoying being alone. I love to sit outside, listen to the birds, and feel the wind against my skin or curl up with a good book or just watch a movie on TV. Alone.

But there must be balance to have health. I know that. So, when my new friend and new WOW member Rookie MacPherson invited me to be a staffer at her recent dance (http://www.supersinglemixers.com/) I said yes. I would get to wear a costume and carpool and have dinner before with my friend (and WOW member) Pam, so that would be extra nice. I admit I was nervous, not having been in a large group of single people lately, but I knew I had to do it. First, I had made a commitment and I am big on keeping commitments. Second, I knew I had to get back into the social scene, and this would be an easy way to do it, working as a staffer and having a reason to talk to the crowd, one by one. So there I was.

It turned out to be a fun event. Rookie apparently spends months and lots of time and energy planning her events so that singles our age will have fun and have more to do than sit around and wait for something to happen. There was a DJ, food, drinks, fun tables (tarot card reading, Chinese face reading, foot rubs), and a trivia contest. I dressed as a Sorceress and Pam was Dracula and we greeted the incoming guests with an explanation of the Trivia game and the location of the name-tag table. As usual, however, I felt invisible, like no one could see me, since none of the guys approached me and started a conversation. Rookie says we are just too beautiful and full of energy for men to have the courage to get near us, but she's been dateless for longer than I have, which is amazing considering that she is beautiful, smart, and very funny. Who knows?

Anyway, I had fun being a greeter and got a foot rub, which was wonderful. Pam got her cards read and a foot rub and, considering the blissful look on her face, I assume it was as good as mine. When I looked around the ballroom, there was lots of mixing and dancing and conversations, and it looked like the singles in attendance were having a really good time. Kudos to our Rookie. And now she's invited me to work at her upcoming Sake Tasting Event, so I will have one more chance to be social. And maybe this time, I won't be invisible.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to consider myself on a self-imposed 'dating hiatus' rather than dateless. Sounds so much better, don't you think! :)

Anonymous said...

Possibly one is more "approachable" as a guest and not as "staff". Possible your "invisible" holds you back and is just an insecurity within which you project, and not a reality.

Anonymous said...

fantastic photo! gorgeous women!