January 14, 2007

The analogy of the fence....

Life is temporary. We like to think that things and people in our lives are forever, especially the things we enjoy and the people we love. But nothing lasts. Things break, people leave us. We get older, our bodies change, our circumstances change, people come and go in our lives. That’s life.

My backyard fence has been repaired. It’s strong and solid now, ready to face the upcoming winds and not collapse again. Meanwhile, Juan, my fence and gardener guy had to take out all the plants and vines and flowers that have been growing up and over the fence since before I moved in to this house. And while he was doing that, he trimmed back all of the stunning deep pink bouganvillas that covered the back of my yard, that wall of gorgeous color that so impressed anyone looking out into my back yard. I was shocked at this loss, the change from the beautiful nest I had enjoyed to this wasteland that I must now see every day. It’s just fences and stubs of plants, and I am saddened at the sight of this and at my loss. Even the flowers on the ground are gone, those lovely plants that I nourished and tended for so many years.

But this is a great analogy of life, to learn not to cling to things, even beautiful things that bring us such joy and pleasure. Juan assures me that the plants will grow back even more lush than before, and I believe him. But we cling to jobs that we don’t like, clothes that we don’t wear, knick-knacks that clutter our home, friends who take and don’t give, and romantic relationships that are unfulfilling and cause us pain. I don’t know the meaning of life or the reason that I am here, but maybe life is just a series of lessons about what is really important. That things and people in our lives are temporary, that having less can be spiritually enriching, that we need to live each day with our eyes open and fully awake so that we can learn whatever lesson life brings us. That only in allowing ourselves to let go of things in our life that we cling to will we have the space in our hearts for whatever beauty that life has in store for us. And that whatever it is, we need to hold on to it gently and enjoy whatever it brings to us…for however long or short a time it stays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. Just the other day I was commenting to one of my best friends that although I knew I should throw out some old things, I realized I was having a hard time doing so, because I feared that throwing out old things meant I was becoming a smaller, more boring person. Her response: "I don't see it that way at all. I like getting rid of unnecessary baggage because it makes traveling [through life]easier. When I throw out old things, I picture myself an intrepid explorer, held back by nothing." Her perspective really helped me. I hope it helps someone else in my predicament too.