July 8, 2006

Hot, hot, hot....

Ah, summer. It shouldn't be 100 degrees at 5:pm, it just shouldn't be. We're still in town, we WOW ladies, except Jessica on an island in Washington, having that light bulb moment that reminded her that she works too hard, moves too fast, and is determined to slow down, dance more, breathe more deeply, and live more fully.

I have company from Georgia. Auntie Sharon - we married brothers the same year, had a baby girl the same year, divorced the same year, and lived together after that. She's that very special person who knows me almost as well as I know myself, sometimes she knows me better than I know myself, and accepts and loves me deeply. I've never forgiven her for moving suddenly to Georgia to escape her family and problems, but I'm so happy to see her. I picked her up at the airport and cried. We went to her 39th high school pre-reunion last night - people my age, talking about high school and what's happened since then. Quite a reality shock, realizing that I really am that old and have lived that long. I can't have regrets, too self-destructive, so I choose to appreciate who I am, what I have, and live in the moment. As much as I can.

Five of us WOW ladies met for breakfast to see our Harriet, who has endured a few medical procedures and has missed a few meetings. She looks good, but not all is well yet. Rachel's daughter, the Army interrogator, returned to Iraj, so there is that worry, but Rachel looks good and seems happy. She has that beautiful contagious smile. Sue is dating someone who seems like the guy she has hoped to meet. Clearly he adores her, of course, and is a little anxious to make sure she doesn't get away, but it sounds like she is handling herself well - and enjoying him immensely. Lauri reminded us about the guy who invited her over for dinner, showed her the bedroom, and, when things got hot and heavy and she decided, Oh what the hell and asked him if he had protection, he said "honey, we're not going there yet!" She was surprised and shocked and, true to form, came up with "well, do you have coffee?"

What's the message with all this?!? I watched a Sex and The City, the one where Big got engaged to the "stick figure with no soul" and the girls sat around talking about The Way We Were and how Robert "Hubbell" Redford married the "simple girl with straight hair" instead of Barbara K-k-k-katy Streisand, because she was "too complicated and has wild, curly hair." Carrie says, after seeing Big coming from his engagement party, that we are like Katy, wild and free, and need a man who doesn't want to tame us but knows that our unique "wildness" will be a blessing. You know how it feels when you are with a guy and it's OK, but how different it is when a guy really sees your quirkiness and the energy that is only you and not only enjoys it but it makes him joyful? That's who I am waiting for. We all are.

No comments: