May 13, 2006

Could this be why he doesn't have a girlfriend?

I survived the week. I have hot water. The dog stopped limping without seeing the vet. My stomach stopped hurting. The Mother of Multiples Brunch with my daughter was delightful. The weather is beautiful. And I replanted the pots on my patio with purple and pink flowers. I must be coming out of my slump!

Pam says it's better to be lonely than sad. Think about it. I realized that there are a few minutes here and there when I feel lonely, but I don't feel sad. I might feel lonely sometimes, but I don't have terrible sadness that comes when you're in a relationship and realize how unhappy you are and that it will never get better and that you have to leave.

OK, so there are other men out there - I picked my favorite profile of the week. Harriet says "This guy is a schizophrenic and a very conflicted person." She clearly is a master of understatement. See what you think:

"My grandmother said "The best things in life aren't things," and this is how I try to govern my life. I have no real hobbies, but enjoy the usual variety of pastimes: dinner out, golf, a movie, music; particularly Jazz. I'm an incessant reader. I grew up around Thoroughbred racehorses, so I enjoy spending the day at Del Mar and Santa Anita when I have the chance. Having traveled so much on business, my enthusiasm for wandering too far from home isn't what it once was- at least as far as long lines at airports and overcrowded airplanes are concerned. I'm hopelessly conventional in my tastes and preferences for the most part e.g. when I go to Starbucks; I order a regular cup of coffee. Nothing beats the time I get to spend with my 6-year-old grandson. While no fanatic, I nonetheless exercise rigorously several times a week. As for being a romantic, I think or hope I'm that way. At least I harbor the illusion of it. But I have to say too that I don't share the same enthusiasm so many express for "long walks on the beach." How's romance even remotely possible when beaches in California are so crowded? To begin with you spend most of your time trying to find a place to park. When you are lucky enough to find one, you never have change for the meter. Before you know it you’re in some decrepit looking T-shirt shop pleading desperately with the tattooed kid behind the counter to make change for a dollar, becuase at this point all you're trying to do is keep from getting a $50 parking ticket. And not to put too fine a point on it, the spot you do occasionally find is always next to the 20-minute meter. Why do they only give you 20 minutes?

Basically I'd like to meet up with someone who is optimistic and upbeat despite some struggles in life. Facing down the odds informs the good things of life."


No comments: