July 10, 2008

It's a delicate subject

This is embarrassing to talk about, I admit this, but I have to do it. It saved my life and it might save yours. What is it? Yes, a colonoscopy.

I woke up one day, four years ago, and decided to have a colonoscopy. I had no symptoms or health issues, and I know that's not something one thinks about regularly, but that day I did. So I set it up, did the prep, and had the procedure. Surprisingly, I had two polyps that the doctor removed. And surprisingly, they were pre-cancerous polyps that would have become cancer if left there.

Two years later, I went back and had another colonoscopy and the doctor removed two more pre-cancerous polyps. And two weeks ago, I had it done again and today I saw the doctor for follow-up and he told me that he removed another pre-cancerous polyp. The doctor says that it's genetic, even though no one in my family has a history of polyps whatsoever, and the only way to not grow them it to "change my genetics." Good thing the doctor has a sense of humor, since we've been so intimate. I like my men funny.

I mention this personal subject to urge all of you, those over fifty or those with a family history, to get a coloscopy as soon as possible. Can you imagine what would have happened if I didn't decide to have this procedure four years ago? I know that I'm not immortal, but having colon cancer is not the way I'd choose to go. By the way, the test itself is not painful at all. They use those lovely drugs where one second you're watching the nurse put something into your IV and the next minute the doctor is saying that it's all over and you did fine. The prep, however, is rather unpleasant, but there are ways to make it better, so just let me know when yours is scheduled and I'll tell you the secrets.

I admit that this isn't the most lovely subject to write about, but if this saves one life or prevents any of you from having to be treated for such an awful cancer, then it's worth my embarrassment. Schedule it now. If you need a ride or someone to hold your hand or just someone to share your concerns, just let me know. I'll be right there to help make it easier, I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a very worthwhile procedure! I know of a woman who felt fine, went in for the procedure, and as a result caught cancer she didn't know she had just in time. If we don't take care of ourselves who will? Thanks.