March 11, 2007

Dinner and Dancing.

OK, I went out again. Dinner and dancing. What!!! I can just hear you now, Ellen went on a date?!? Yeah, right. Not that it can't happen, but not last night. Who did I go out with? My friend Rookie MacPherson of www.SuperSingleMixers.com. We are new friends, lucky me, and realized over dinner (at Sizzler's - don't laugh, a great salad bar!) that we have a lot in common, both good and bad, in our personal histories. Plus, we are both the kind of people who get an idea, figure out a solution, and make it happen. She was unhappy with the available singles events, so she decided to create her own. Kinda like what happened when I invited online daters on Match.com to meet at a public event and got kicked off that site for "solitication." I was just trying to get people to meet in real life and look what happened. But Rookie is her own boss and her events are fun and successful.

OK, back to last night. After that yummy dinner, we went to the Sportsman's Lodge to listen to music and dance. What should I say about those few hours? We two ladies danced together most of the time, the music was stuff we could sing to, and the guys hanging around stared at our, um, curves and didn't ask us to dance. That about sums it up. Except for the really old guy in the red shirt who wouldn't let us sit at his table and then spent most of his time dancing with two or three ladies at a time. The other guys pretty much stood around and watched the TV (when they weren't checking out our you-know-whats). Then there was this Italian guy who bought drinks for both of us, danced with Rookie, and couldn't stop saying how sexy and beautiful she was.

And then there was Anthony. Big muscles, shaved head, tattoos everywhere. Gorgeous. Nice, polite guy, looked like someone from the 'hood, but professed his respect for women over and over. And he tried his darndest to convince us that we should take him home with us. Did I mention that he was 31-years-old? Ah, I can live with that memory for a long time.

So, is there a morale to this story? No, not really. Just that life can be fun, new women friends are a blessing, and men are visual and sometimes lack balls. And no, thank you, we didn't take Anthony up on his offer. Not that it didn't sound pretty good for a moment or two.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to enjoy the evening all over again from reading your post! :)
Poor Anthony, he was so using a hard sell (sorry, could NOT resist that one).
Speaking of dinners and fun, lets mention one more time my dinner speaker event on Sunday March 25th. Very trendy place, great food, great speaker - the guy who wrote the book "It Could've Been a Great date if it Weren't For You". And guys - it is CASUAL DRESS. You can wear jeans, shorts, jammies, whatever, be creative. If that doesn't get you guys attending I don't know what will(did I mention the lap dances from naked ladies -kidding!)
So check my web site for details and to prepay (YES, that would require a commitment of sorts. baby steps).
http://www.supersinglemixers.com/CompanyAndConversationDinnerClub.htm

Anonymous said...

.....that is too bad more men didn't ask two beautiful women to dance....the truth of the matter is,,,,some men like to dance, just as much as they like wearing a condom......

Anonymous said...

I am dating challenged!
Here is my thought.

Last time I did this, youth considered, dynamics were wrong if you went looking. But, in your twenties, in school, work, no one is married. It just happens.
Now EVERYone is married, in my world, but the dynamics of looking feel the same.
What to do?