October 24, 2006

Feelings....

I've got a cold again, that achy, stuffy head, feel miserable thing that's going around. It's not fatal, it'll go away in a few days, but meanwhile I feel sick and isolated and kinda pathetic, like I'm alone in the world. Makes me think how sometimes what we do is based on what we feel and how what we feel can change with the wind. How my view of the world is usually optimistic and upbeat but when I'm sick, I'm thinking really negatively and, although I hate to admit it, I'm feeling kinda sorry for myself.

And, in all this quiet and aloneness, I remembered something I had heard, that we should make decisions of the heart with our head. Makes sense, since our feelings come and go and waver and change, often depending on the weather or our hormones or if we're eating well or if we had a bad day at work or if we had an unpleasant encounter with someone. But it's amazing how real feelings seem, like they're an indisputable truth, rather than just some passing emotion.

So how many times do we proceed with some action that is based on an emotion and is that emotion based on the truth or not? Should we base our actions on our feelings or should we rise above them and use our heads? And when should we throw caution to the wind and just roll with the feeling regardless of what we think?

Can we ever really trust how we feel?

No comments: