November 21, 2010

Gratitude and puppies.

Another month, another amazing Wow meeting.  We gathered for a yummy potluck and to answer the questions, "What has made you most happy this year....or for what are you most grateful."  The dinner was noisy, as usual, with all the ladies sharing stories and getting to know each other - picture 15 women in a small space eating and laughing and having fun.  In my own life, I know that counting my blessings changes my attitude, takes my mind off my troubles, and makes me grateful for even the smallest good thing I have. In one of my favorite blog feeds, the message today was "Gratitude feels so good because it is the state of mind closest to your natural state in which you were born to live."  -Abraham-Hicks


After such a boisterous dinner hour, I figured it might be tough to settle the ladies down to this somewhat serious topic, but I was touched and moved by their answers.  Many talked about their families, how they had repaired relationships with their children, and some were grateful that they even had children. Some were grateful that their adult children continued to include and welcome them into their adult lives. Some shared their joy that they were to have a new grand baby soon, including one who had seen her daughter through a variety of very tough times, including drugs and alcohol and finally 12-step recovery. They talked about how their relationships had grown more healthy , how they had learned to set boundaries and maintain those friendships, and that they were very grateful to have friends.  Several ladies talked about their new assertiveness, how they no longer put up with men who were bad for them, and how they became brave enough to open their lives to new jobs and new possibilities.  The teachers were grateful that they could positively affect their students and one was grateful just to have things to be grateful for.  One told about her 91-year-old mother, still strong and bright, and having had the time to repair and now enjoy their relationship. Several talked about being content with their lives, how they no longer struggle or strive to make things happen, such as finding a mate, but are open to what could happen. Several were grateful for the ability to continue to pay their bills. Two were delighted to have a new love in their lives, a new puppy that brought joy and love into their homes and hearts.  Another two were here for the first time and expressed their gratitude at having friends and now being able to make even more.


I looked around the room at this very eclectic group of lovely women, feeling grateful that they were in my home, happy that they so easily shared their struggles and successes and desires.  Several of them included just being part of this group in their gratitude list, which filled me with the warmest fuzziest feelings of the evening.


I continue to be amazed at how much joy and pleasure these ladies bring into my life.  It's nice to have a boyfriend as a few of the ladies do, but the warmth and nurturing that comes from women friends isn't something we find in a man.  We can enjoy his company, the fun of doing new things, the pleasure of intimacy, but only our women friends can bring this kind of love and warmth.  I may not be close friends with all of my Wowettes, but I really do love and appreciate them all.  Here they are!








1 comment:

Carole said...

I live in a little town in Mexico called San Miguel de Allende, a town full of women, some attached, many not. We are blessed to have each other and to know that there is a network of wonderful women even here in this foreign country that we can turn to and depend on in times of need, and even more so, have fun with at all times! WOW!!!