June 17, 2008

McKenzie and the orphans in Nepal.







I love my son-in-law. I met him when I went to college at the age of 42 and he was in his mid-20s. We were taking an accelerated program at Pierce College and had to form study groups in order to survive and so he and I attended classes once or twice a week, studied, and graduated together. Through it all, he was a dear to me, treating me like an equal, even though I was his mom's age, and I was delighted when my beautiful curly-haired daughter fell in love with him. Lucky me to have him in my life. Plus, he's the father of those wonderful twins, who also adore him.

The point here? He has a sister named McKenzie who is lovely and sweet and kind. That's her picture above. She visited here recently, on her way to spending her summer at orphanages in Nepal and Thailand. Nepal is the poorest country in the world with a history of continuous upheavals in government. In order to visit the orphanage, one is required to donate enough money to support one child for ten years. $2500.00. That's $250 per year, can you imagine providing for your child for that tiny amount of money per year?!? McKenzie has not had an easy life herself and has become a beautiful and compassionate woman and plans to devote her life to helping children. She is a very, very special person.

So McKenzie's in Nepal with all those orphans who are enjoying her tremendously. There are no showers or washing machines and only rice to eat and only occasional power and it's quite a shock to her, like it would be to any of us. I just wanted to share her blog with you as she writes about her daily experiences and what she has learned from the children and the amazingly kind people who run it. There are links on the blog to the charities that support the orphanage if you want to help support them. And you can send McKenzie a comment by clicking the word "comment" at the end of each post. She'd sure appreciate that!

Here's the link to McKenzie: http://mckenzielamborne.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

McKenzie's Summer and Fall Travels said...

Thank you so much Ellen! You are quite an amazing woman as well!

Much Love,
McKenzie