August 19, 2010

Fashion and boogie boards.

Things are looking up.  I still wish I were retired and could go to the beach or read books all day or see every movie that comes out or travel the world, but I can't and that's it.  I do think I'm coming out of a long, long funk since I went to a dance party last weekend and really had fun and went out to a really enjoyable dinner with one of my favorite guy friends last night and I'm feeling pretty OK with work. I even have a dinner planned next week to meet with a prospective new employer and another with a guy who leads another singles group and wants to brainstorm some new ideas about getting our groups together for some activities. Did I mention my new purple couch?

I have always had to work, even when my daughter was small and I did day care to make ends meet.  But amazingly my daughter gets to be a stay-home mom to her beautiful seven-year-old twins.  Yes, it's terribly hard work to teach them and make sure they learn how to be good and kind people, but she's doing a wonderful job of it.  And kids do say the darndest things, no question about it.  The children were heading out last weekend for an adventure with their wonderful dad when he was playing music from The Who with the words "I can see for miles and miles and miles...." and the little girl Talia piped up with "He must be eating a lot of carrots."  I mean, you can't buy that kind of pleasure, hearing something so real and smart coming from such little people.  And the little boy Quinn comes up with some brilliant observations himself, which we have dubbed Quinnisms.  So they were shopping today for boogie boards for the beach and Quinn picked his out right away but Talia couldn't find what she liked so they had to go to a few stores until she found a purple one..  Which led to today's Quinnism, " "Fashion, it doesn't always have to be pretty. What matters is that you like it. It's like with humans, it's the most important what's on the inside. The outside doesn't matter so much."  He's seven, loves to run and play and is amazing at building things with Legos and his mind is thinking things that some adults never realize.  And I get to be their gramma. 


Clearly, I'm feeling better and more alive.  I'm even participating in organizing a karaoke night on August 28th and the next Wow potluck will be on September 2nd with Marni Battista as speaker.  If you want to have fun with us at either event, just email me at wowthatellen@yahoo.com for details.  Meanwhile, I think I'll curl up with a good book (which I got from the library with my new library card!) and my loudly purring cat and enjoy some well earned relaxation.  


p.s. That's a pic of the twins who just turned seven and were writing thank you notes for some birthday gifts.

1 comment:

Daria said...

You have so much to offer when you are reaching out and moving forward. I'm excited to see what you can accomplish now that you are thinking so positive.